The Matrix activity is a customizable spreadsheet that can be used to capture data for a series of items based upon specific criteria. It can also build and define relationships between data.
Leaders can add any of the following Matrix activities to the Navigation tab:
- Custom Matrix can be customized and used to capture data within multiple criteria for a series of items.
- Multi-Step Matrix allows Leaders to pre-configure a number of procedural events within the activity so that they can be executed by a single-click of the corresponding Step.
- Action Items help you define and assign responsibility, due dates, completion dates, and the status of any action items.
- Pros and Cons Analysis is used to enter a list of options to have Thinkers enter Pros/Cons associated with each.
- RACI Matrix is used to identify different levels of engagement that roles/individuals have in relation to processes or tasks.
- RFP Response is used to draft, review, and revise an RFP into a finalized version for presentation.
- Risk Register is used to define type, cause, and mitigating actions for potential risks to an organization. The Risk Register is also used to assess consequences, prioritize risk mitigation planning, and implement controls to ensure effective risk management.
The following features and functionality are available in the Custom Matrix activity window:
- The Matrix Activity Window displays customized columns and contributed items in rows.
- The default Items column is where you add new items. Participants examine each of the items you add as rows, and enter comments or make selections in each column.
- You can add new columns by clicking on the Add Column icon located in the upper right of the window.
- Entry Box is located at the base of the left column, where Leaders and Thinkers can add new items to the Matrix activity.
You can add items to a Matrix in one of the following ways:
- Drag/Drop items from another activity
- Copy/paste from external resources, such as a spreadsheet or Word document
- Enter items manually
Note: For additional information, see the Moving Data topic.
Custom matrix columns allow Leaders to define how data is collected or assigned to items. Once added, you can resize, reorder, or remove columns from the Matrix as necessary.
The following types of columns are available in a Custom Matrix:
- Comments enables all Thinkers to add comments in an entry box at the base of a dialog. Basic text editing functionality is available in the dialog (Indent, Outdent, Delete, Cut/Copy/Paste/Paste Special). You can Magnet Thinkers to pull them to a specific comment in a Matrix, and you can copy the browser's URL link to share comments with participants (see Deep Linking for more information).
- Text allows you add a line of text. For example, you could enter a question, and a Comments column could hold the answers.
- Single Select populates every cell of that column with a drop-down box. Thinkers can select one item in the list.
- Multi-Select populates every cell of that column with a list box of multiple items. Thinkers can select one or more items in this list.
- Date: Populates each cell with a calendar from which you can select a date.
To add a column:
- Click on the Add Column icon. The New Column dialog opens.
- In the Basic section, enter a column name and description.
Note: For Single Select or Multi Select column types, the Options section enables Leaders to enter new list items that Thinkers can select from. For more information, see the next section on the Options Section.
- Click on the Type drop-down to select the column type.
- Click on Create Column.
Once created, you cannot change the column type. However, you can edit the column name, description, and list items (for Single- or Multi-Select columns) by clicking on the gear wheel icon in the upper right of the column. Alternatively, you can use the Activity toolbar for these operations.
For Single and Multi Select Column types, you can define what options will be available for selection in the Options section:
- Item column lists all options that can be selected.
- Del allows you to remove items. Click on the X next to the item to remove.
- Enter a new item in the bottom text entry field to add it to the list of possible selections, and then press Enter/Return.
- Click Close to save any changes that have been made.
To edit an existing option in the list, double-click in its row to directly edit the text:
A Matrix row holds a single item and all of its supporting data. You can deactivate, or hide, a row and its associated functionality in every cell by clicking on the Green Dot on the left. The Green Dot turns gray when deactivated; simply click on it again to reactivate it.
To add a row:
- Enter the new item in the entry box at the base of the first column.
- Press the Enter/Return key. The new row displays at the bottom.
Once created, you can complete basic right-click operations on the items, including Mark Read/Unread, Delete, Cut/Copy/Paste/Paste Special, Select All, Indent/Outdent).
- To delete items (rows), highlight the item so it turns blue, and then click on the Delete icon on the Activity toolbar.
- To reorder a row, drag and drop it to the new position (green line indicates the new position).